Until recently, the only cosmetic and functional options available for people with missing teeth were removable dentures or bridges. Today, advancements in technology offer a more permanent solution for missing teeth called dental implants. Dental implants are replacement teeth and tooth roots. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are tiny titanium posts, which are surgically placed into the jawbone where teeth are missing. These metal anchors act as tooth root substitutes. The bone bonds with the titanium, creating a strong foundation for artificial teeth. Small posts are then attached to the implant called abutments, which protrude through the gums. These posts provide stable anchors for artificial replacement teeth. The replacement teeth are made of porcelain, and are designed to look and function just like a natural tooth.
What Conditions Require a Dental Implant?
Your provider at Commonwealth Prosthodontics will review your dental history and thoroughly examine your mouth and bone structure to determine if implants are the ideal solution for your needs. A candidate for dental implants has good oral hygiene habits and healthy gum tissue. The following conditions may require dental implants:
- Missing teeth due to injury or a congenital disorder
- A crown that can no longer be replaced due to insufficient natural tooth support
- A crack in the root of your tooth that is causing pain or sensitivity requiring extraction
- Existing, removable dental work that needs to be replaced with a fixed solution
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are changing the way people live. It is now possible to replace a full jawline with dental implants and a fixed bridge that results in a permanent, stable and high esthetic solution. In the past, the only solution was removable dentures or partial bridges that could cause blistering or rubbing and required extra care to maintain. Additional benefits include:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your natural teeth.
- Improved speech. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort. Since they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating. Dental implants function like natural teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self esteem. Dental implants can restore your smile and help you feel great.
- Improved oral health. More of your own teeth are left intact, improving long term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
Commonwealth Prosthodontics Can Help You!
At Commonwealth Prosthodontics, we use the latest dental techniques and technologies to ensure our patients receive the highest quality of care. Our team will work with you to ensure that you understand our process and that you receive the most encompassing information about our procedures. Our dentist will examine your teeth and jawbone and determine the treatment that is right for you. If you are missing teeth or would like to replace dentures or bridges with a permanent solution call us today at (804) 346-3366.